Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Goodly Shroombelly

This is the central portion of Goodly Creature. As you may already have suspected, he is a creature of multifarious parts. Some are decidedly shroomy.

I hasten to assure you that my fixation with mushrooms is botanical, gastronomical, folkloric, aesthetic, & nostalgic. My dad has always been an enthusiastic collector of edible wild mushrooms (he has just planted a truffle farm!), & when I was young I spent a Christmas in Denmark, where the magic mushroom (Amanita muscaria, a.k.a. fly agaric) was as emblematic of the season as holly is in the U.S. Isn't that curious? ;) Ever since then I've had a warm feeling for those cheerily spotted fungi.


Please click the image for details. To see all the posts in this process, please click the "Goodly Creature" label below.

No comments: